Friday, April 17, 2009

Circle of Life

A few weeks ago, Lilac Rain's dog, Karma passed away. Lilac Rain doesn't remember a time without her "Karma Dog". We got Karma when Lilac Rain was around one. At the breeder, Jim, Lilac Rain and I walked around, and the puppies followed us. Jim and I went in one direction, but Lilac Rain wasn't paying attention and she went in another. As we looked over our shoulder, the puppies were still following us, but Karma followed Lilac Rain. Karma and Lilac Rain have always had that special bond. If Lilac Rain was playing in the yard and headed to trouble, Karma would literally herd her to a safe place, and if that strategy didn't work, Karma would get a hold of Lilac Rain's pants in the bottom and pull her to safety.






We knew that Karma was not feeling well because she had become so slow, but she wasn't in any pain. She just slept a lot and didn't move much. All of us were very lucky to be able to say our goodbyes, which made the healing process easier, and Karma was fortunate enough to die peacefully at home. While we miss Karma terribly, the pain is slowly subsiding. I can still feel Karma's presence at the bottom of my bed. Every morning when I wake up, I can feel her sleeping there, and I'm afraid that I'm going to step on her even though I know she's not there physically.












As one life left our lives, a new one entered. A couple of weeks after Karma died, we decided it was time to make an addition to our family. It gives me great pleasure to introduce...drum roll please...Dharma!



She has definitely won over all of our hearts!!

No comments: